Popular Posts

Monday, March 14, 2011

Animal Shelters, Camera's, and Best Indie Bands

Sunday!  The day of glory!  For real, it is my favorite day of the week.  I volunteer at an animal shelter for four hours, and I've already wracked up about 26 service hours.  The animals are amazing.  Actually ever since I was about eight, I've been addicted to animals.  It all started one day at my farm......
I was woken up by my mom shaking me.
"Alia! Wake up! We need you!"
So I jumped out of bed and followed her outside onto the grassy lawn, acres and acres of beauty.  She led me to a shoe box, and inside was a baby bird.  The bird was so small and fragile, with it's eyes sealed shut and no feathers, which made it seem so small and naked.  We named him BEE BO (don't ask me why), and I cried for hours because my mom told me that there was nothing we could do to save him, and that without his mother he would die.  We called the country vet, but he said there was nothing he could do.  We also tried to look for a nest or some sign of his family, but we had no such luck.  So I decided to apply for the position of mother.  I wiped the tears from my eyes, and got a shovel from the barn, and dug a huge hole in our lawn (which my dad got super pissed off about).  I dug the hole and found tons of worms to feed BEE BO, but I knew that momma birds regurgitated their worms into the baby's throat.  So I ate the worms and then I threw them-----Haha just kidding I didn't do that.  I took the worms, and mashed them(yes yes disgusting) and mixed them with a little bit of water, to seem like momma bird puke.  Then I put the worm feast into an eye dropper and tried to feed BEE BO.  He ate a little, but two days later he died.  I cried a lot, but I pledged to care for animals when I got older.  I still want to be a vet, but vet school just gets harder and harder these days.  So the animal shelter is where I get my animal fix, since my dad is allergic to things with fur, and the fur-less cat are kind of creepy( in a cute kind of way).

After my animal shelter fix, my mom took me to Costco, so she could shop for groceries and I could see if I could afford a new camera.  Unfortunately, I could not.  I need to make about fifty more dollars to get my new Nikon.  So I came home empty handed, well not empty handed actually I was carrying ten grocery bags, but same difference.

The other day, I got some great vintage stuff from salvation army.  It took about two hours of shopping to find some good stuff, but it was worth it for sure.

















Item numero uno was a super sleek sequined top, that an old lady tried to steal from me at the check out line. As you can see, I won that battle.






















This is just a super cute old sailor looking dress from my mom's time (or so she says, but she always aims about ten year younger).  Sorry about the photo quality too cause I took the pictures from my dad's iPhone.  I thought it would take better pictures, but I guess phone crappyness never seizes to amaze me.














This is a bad pic, but it's a black/dark red lacy holey dress, something I've never really seen before.  It looks great with a silver belt too.  I would have taken these pictures with the outfits on, but I stayed up 'till about three in the morning yesterday, so I looked like the waking dead.  I didn't want to scare you.






















And here is the classical silver belt.  All this under ten buckaroos.



I actually wanted to mention that I seriously dislike some of the current music that the world's teens are listening to.  Rap is not music.  It is repeated pounding and someone speaking or yelling words that are seriously degrading to women.  If you actually listen to the lyrics, they're appalling, and so is the headache you get afterwards.  I guess I just never grew up with that stuff.  My parents spoon fed me the Beatles, The Sound of Music, Billy Joel, Phil Collins, the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, ABBA, James Taylor, and so much other good REAL music.  Recently, I've been pretty into some great Indie bands.  Here are my top picks.







This is a hilarious video, and a really good song.  These guys are called the Black Keys, and I wish more people knew about them so spread the word.







This is The Temper Trap.  They's real good.






I think that video was fan made, but I couldn't find the original, and you get the point.  They are rockin'.  So next time you are listening to Jay-Z or Ke$ha, stop, and listen to these guys.  This is real raw talent, and it's hard not love.

Live, Love, Rock, and please wear deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment